Friday, April 17, 2020

DIY: No-Sew T-Shirt Face Mask

I posted the other day about the fabric masks I've been making - and after making a couple more I'm officially out of fabric. But people still need masks! I've been seeing lots of new-sew options, or how to tie a bandana/scarf into a mask so I thought I'd experiment with that. Guys, you can totally make a mask for yourself out of an old t-shirt! For real - it's so easy. There are tons of online ideas but I thought I'd show you what I found to work...

My first try is very easy but it only gives you one layer of t-shirt and while that might be better than nothing it doesn't feel thick enough. But it'll work in a pinch:

 - cut about 7" from the bottom of an old cotton t-shirt, depending how wide the t-shirt is you'll have a band of fabric. Mine was from a guys shirt and about 24" wide x 7" tall. Lay the band down and cut a long rectangle from one end towards the other, stop short about 4.5" from the fold at the other end. You're left with an 9" square and two long ties (cut the loop in the middle of the tie to form 4 ties). Then wrap around your face and tie in the back.





The second one I did ended up being thicker, almost pleated so there's more fabric over the nose and mouth, and just as easy - if anyone needs a mask I'd recommend this one:



-cut off a short sleeve from the t-shirt and the hem around the bottom of the shirt. Cut the hem in half so you have one long strip, then cut that in half. Fold the sleeve so the underarm seam is in the middle. Put one hem strip thru the sleeve on either side, scrunch the shirt down and tie into a loop that will go around your ear. Fold the pointed top part down under the mask and put it on, adjust the loop ties to fit your face.










I have so many cut up t-shirts from making my t-shirt rag quilt (which doesn't use the sleeves or hem so I have lots of them!) - you just need to find an old t-shirt you don't mind cutting up to make these masks. You can get two masks out of one shirt (two sleeves = two masks!), for the second one just cut a strip of  t-shirt from the bottom - even without the hem t-shirts don't fray so it'll work fine.


4.17.19: Cathy's baked mostaccioli perfect for today - it's snowing out!
4.17.18: shoelace tightening tip
4.17.17: money origami
4.17.16: baeckeoffe - can't pronounce it but it's good!




No comments:

Post a Comment