Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Borchers Breakfast Pie (rerun)

I originally posted this 12/30/15, if you want a delicious easy breakfast idea this is a winner. In fact now that I'm looking at it I think I'll run get the ingredients and make it for New Years morning! Side note - I linked the recipe in '15 instead of posting it with the pictures and I now see that the link isn't working. So I'll print it below this time... Here's the rest of the original post:

I have had this recipe for years from Borchers Bed and Breakfast in northern Michigan - don't remember how I ended up with it; I probably either asked for it or drooled enough over the pie at breakfast that they gave the recipe to me so I'd stop eating their pie and make my own...not sure. Either way I didn't steal it haha and hopefully they are cool with me sharing it! If you're ever in the area and stay there tell them I'm still making it and we LOVE it :)



This is a great thing to make for overnight guests, a Holiday breakfast, or just when you feel like pie for breakfast (!) - it's hard to tell there is cream of mushroom soup and velveeta in it, I know that might sound a little unhealthy but sometimes it's worth it. I double the recipe and usually put one in the freezer; it also holds well if you want to make it the day before. Enjoy!

layer chopped hard boiled eggs and cubed Velveeta over hash brown mixture

top with puff pastry, here I am trimming the edges to fit. I sealed the edges by 
pushing a fork into the dough all around the top. 

brush with an egg wash - I whisked one egg with a splash of milk


delish!

1 package puff pastry sheets (thaw according to package directions)
1 T. chopped onion
1 T. chopped red pepper
14 oz. hash browns
1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
4 oz slices Velveeta

Saute onion and pepper, add the hash browns and brown. Add the soup and sour cream. Set aside.

Preheat oven 350'. Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry for the bottom crust and place in a 9" pie plate.

Pour in hash brown mixture, then layer cheese and eggs on top. Top with the second pieces of pastry rolled out to fit, seal edges and flute. Brush with egg wash, bake at 350' 35-40 minutes. Serves 8

notes:
I buy frozen hash browns that have onion and red pepper in them already so I eliminate the first step of sautéing and adding them. I usually buy the 32 oz bag of hash browns and since the recipe calls for a half can of soup I double the entire recipe (really, what are you going to do with half a can of soup?) and use all of the potatoes. You can use light sour cream and light Velveeta, it's still good. I chop the velveeta up into cubes before layering on top of the potatoes. I have also made this lots of times using a regular pie crust instead of the puff pastry. To make the egg wash I whisk one egg with a splash of milk.





No comments:

Post a Comment