Thursday, December 3, 2020

MSIH: Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff

Here's a 'my sis is hungry' recipe and review of crockpot chicken stroganoff - I've never heard of chicken instead of beef and wanted to try it, did not think Dave would like it so I figured I'd have my sister be the guinea pig hahaha! Funny thing - turns out Dave was game to try it and ended up liking it better than anyone else, his review is that it's really good and he'd definitely eat this again :) Here's what my sis had to say:

My gosh.. its been so long since my sister has cooked for me the title should no longer be that her sister is hungry- her sister is now STARVING.

Ok enough whining. 

Let me just say I’m thrilled to try anything she cooks us.  I get VERY excited when she says for me not to make dinner- as does the Teen. HAHA.  So this time we are having Chicken Stroganoff.

The husband and teen LOVE Beef Stroganoff (I tolerate it).. so this version was very similar.  The chunks of mushrooms were my favorite part, but the family prefers the “sauce”.  Not the meat, not the mushrooms, just the “sauce” on top of noodles.  

This one they weren’t sure they liked as much as traditional beef. They deemed it “ok”.  Since my sister is a fantastic cook I am sure she wont love the review of “ok”.  Honestly I think they just prefer the flavor the simmering in beef that it gives the sauce.  The chicken flavor made it less flavorful- a little more bland.  It was still good, just “different”.  I am not tasting onions, and I do love that flavor in traditional beef stroganoff as well. So maybe was missing that. The sauce itself was a little runny, so I preferred to eat mine as more of a soup (I don’t love egg noodles).  The family liked theirs on the noodles so neither liked how runny the sauce was.  Brooke also wanted me to add to my review that I didn’t cook the noodles long enough so that brings her review score down as well. Whatever. So that said if your family doesn’t love that strong beef flavor of traditional beef stroganoff and doesn’t mind the sauce runny they may love this. 


  • 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves and/or thighs
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 (10.75 oz.) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 12 oz. dried wide egg noodles
  • 1 (8 oz) carton sour cream
  1. Cut chicken into 1" pieces. In a 3-1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine chicken pieces and onion. In a medium bowl stir together the soup and water. Pour over chicken and onion.
  2. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or on high heat for 3-3 1/2 hours.
  3. Cook noodles according to package direction. Drain. Just before serving, stir sour cream into mixture in cooker. To serve, spoon stroganoff mixture over hot cooked noodles. Season with pepper if desired. 
original recipe found here

Jills note: I mostly followed this recipe except I added a package of freshly sautéed mushrooms when serving - my favorite part of stroganoff is also the mushrooms! I only did 1/2 cup onion very finely diced because Dave doesn't like onion so I was trying to hide it hahah. I didn't have mushroom soup with roasted garlic so just sprinkled in some dried garlic. And I agree, the sauce is quite runny - maybe cut back on the water. Oh, and once again I forgot to take a picture and have to ask you to use your imagination! This is an overall plain-looking dish, serve it on a colorful plate if all the whiteness is boring to you hahaha. Or add a green vegetable to the plate to add some interest. It's white sauce with white chicken over white noodles. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment