Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Tip-sy Tuesday: making turkey stock

First day of December and it's really cold here. And even tho I'm always a soup lover today I'm especially thinking of having something to warm me up - so when I opened the fridge and saw the big bag holding the turkey bones from last weeks feast I thought aha! I should make stock! So I'm writing this and then I'm off to do just that. 

If you still have the leftover turkey bones on hand I can easily help you make stock - it's simple. Put the carcass along with some veggies in a large pot - halved onions, carrot chunks (no need to peel), and celery stalks are all good choices. Add a tablespoon or two of whole black peppercorns, herbs if you have them on hand  (I don't and that's fine). Cover the whole mess with water and bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer for about 3 hours until the liquid is reduced by half.


Set a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl or glass measuring bowl, pull out the bones and big chunks of veggies using tongs and set in the strainer, then pour the rest of the liquid into the strainer. If you want the stock even clearer, rinse out the strainer and then line it with a piece of cheesecloth and pour the strained stock back thru. 

Divide the stock into smaller containers (unless you are going to make soup or use it right away) and cool completely. Store in the fridge for a week, or freeze it for later. 

I'm posting this before finishing, I'll update with photos when I'm done!

1 comment:

  1. Made some too. It turned out good and now I have some in the freezer for some soup.

    ReplyDelete