Monday, January 18, 2021

DIY: Chain Mask Leash

Well it seems having to wear a mask isn't going away in the foreseeable future - and I'm pretty used to wearing one now (other than exercising in one, that's not easy) except I will still get out of my car and halfway to the store before realizing I forgot my mask. Can't tell you how many times it happens! So when I started seeing mask leashes I knew I had to make some - because maybe if I have my mask on a retainer  I will finally not keep forgetting it! These are especially nice when you have multiple stops to make - you know, you leave one place and take the mask off before getting to the next stop, repeat. This way you can just have the mask dangle on the leash in between needing to wear it, instead of putting it in your pocket, or hanging from one ear, or push it under your chin, or put it down in the car and forget to pick it up again! 

I've been playing around with different materials to make the leash out of - chain, cord, braided embroidery thread, ribbon, beads - and they all work. So it's just a matter of what you like, how much time you want to invest, and how crafty you're feeling. They all have a lobster clasp at each end for attaching to the ear loops of your mask - there are different ways to attach the clasps depending on what material you're using to making the leash. 


Today I'll show you how to make a chain leash - these are very easy and you only need a few supplies, they literally take a couple minutes to make. You'll need lightweight chain, 2 jump rings, 2 lobster clasps, and tweezers or jewelry pliers. Remove links of chain if necessary to get the length you want, my shortest one is 19.5 inches of chain (see picture for how long it is when I have it on) but you can make as long or short as you want. Open a jump ring using tweezers or pliers - you want to twist the ring open, don't pull it apart; I find it easiest to use 2 tweezers (or pliers), grab on either side of the opening (the ring has a tiny seam or gap, that's where it'll open), push one side away from you and pull the other side towards you, only open as wide as you need. Add the lobster clasp to the open jump ring, then add one end of the chain, then close the ring by reversing how you opened it (push/pull the sides back to the starting point, there should be no gap in the ring). Repeat with the other end of the chain. 





Now just attach the clasps to the ear loops and you're good to go. When you don't need to have the mask on as a face cover, just let it hang on the leash. 



It took three times as long to write this post as it did for me to make a leash! Here, I'm going to simplify all my instructions so you get the gist that this is a very quick project:

  • open a jump ring
  • add a clasp and an end of the chain
  • close the jump ring
  • repeat other end of chain
  • hook onto a mask

No comments:

Post a Comment