Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

You'll want this recipe for the Oreo cupcakes I'm sharing with you later this week,  I've posted how I make it before but it's never had it's own post so isn't super easy to find when you 'search' - so here you go!

I don't have an actual "recipe" for this, I just wing it but it's easy. I like to make a larger quantity than I'll need to make sure I have enough to frost and decorate any way I decide - it's a pain to run out before finishing your cake or cupcakes! Any leftover frosting is not a bad thing in my book :) 

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature (if using salted butter omit adding the pinch of salt)
6-7 cups confectioners sugar
pinch of salt (sometimes I'll use coarse salt if a little extra salt "bite" would work with that cake)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
heavy cream, approximately 1/4 cup or milk (I like the texture of the frosting using cream but I use milk if I don't have any cream and it's still yummy)
1/2 cup or more of unsweetened cocoa powder

To prepare frosting: beat butter on medium-high speed in a large mixing bowl until smooth and fluffy, 2 or 3 minutes. Add vanilla and salt, then powdered sugar 1 cup at a time mixing well after each addition. As it thickens, add a few tablespoons of cream or milk as needed. Continue alternating powdered sugar and cream until you reach the consistency you want. I add the cocoa powder in when I'm almost done adding the sugar, add more cocoa powder if it doesn't seem chocolatey enough.

Note: if you don't want this much frosting you can adjust the amounts of ingredients to:

  • 1 stick butter
  • 4 cups confectioners sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • cream or milk
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
This amount will frost a 13x9 cake, or 24 cupcakes if you aren't making them fancy and only use a couple tablespoons for each one. 

5.18.21: TT bread ties


No comments:

Post a Comment