Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookies

I volunteered to make dessert for my b-i-l's birthday, I know he loves when I make ice cream cookie sandwiches so I thought I'd do a little twist on my regular chocolate chip cookie version by stuffing the dough with a soft caramel before baking. 

Side story - you might remember that last year I made him a Milk Dud ice cream cake thinking I was a genius for making up the recipe, only to find that frozen Milk Duds are hard as rocks and we were all in jeopardy of breaking a tooth. After making these chocolate chip caramel cookies it popped into my brain that I wonder if the soft caramel center would freeze into equally hard rocks, making the ice cream cookie sandwiches inedible? Sigh. I froze one to test and sure enough, rock hard!

I'm even more bummed about having to make a different birthday dessert because these cookies are 'oh.my.gosh.delicious'!!! Mega-delicious! I'll be taking a plate out to share because they're amazing, but I made him a salted caramel chocolate ice cream cake instead as his actual dessert. Which is also delicious and I'll share that with you later. 

For now, make these cookies! You'll be sooooo happy - just don't eat them frozen ;)

  • 2 ½ cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • ½ cup white granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 Large eggs
  • 1 1/2  cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup white chips
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips 
  • 22 soft caramels (use Werthers, not the kraft square kind), cut in half 
  • coarse or flaky salt

  • In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  • Using a mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together for 2 minutes on high. The batter should be light and fluffy. Add in vanilla and eggs. Mix on medium-high for 1 minute. Scrape the bowl.
  • Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until cookie dough is formed. Add in chocolate chips and mix.
  • Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use a medium sized cookie scoop to scoop cookie dough. Push 1/2 a caramel into the middle of the dough ball, then reform into a ball completely covering the caramel. Alternately you can flatten the cookie dough ball into a disc, fill it with 1 soft caramel, roll the cookie dough back into a ball. Place on cookie sheet. Fill the rest of the cookie dough.
  • Chill for 2 hours or overnight. If overnight, cover with foil. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. 
  • Place 12 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes. It should be lightly golden brown on the edges and slightly under done in the middle. 
  • Sprinkle with coarse or flaky sea salt, let cookies sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. If they spread too much or unevenly, take a spatula and gently push the cookie back into a circle while they are still warm. Transfer to cooling racks. 



    makes approx 40 cookies

original recipe found here

8.3.21: tip-sy tuesday: beverage markers






















8.3.17: Deanna's pretty glass garden angel














No comments:

Post a Comment