Monday, December 27, 2021

BBQ Chicken Sliders

I made 3 different kinds of sliders for our family get together last week and all three turned out great. One was the traditional ham and swiss kind I've made before and I'll share below, but the other 2 are different enough to deserve posts of their own. First up - bbq chicken sliders with pineapple, I think they are my new favorite (although tomorrows creamy chicken is pretty terrific too so maybe it's a tie).


I was inspired by a recipe I saw here that included jalapeños and the melted butter topping has honey and Worcestershire in it. I omitted the jalapeños, used a cheddar/jack blend, and topped it with melted butter, garlic powder, poppy seeds, and parmesan. 

I was planning to make the topping as the recipe is written but when it came time to pop these sliders in the oven (along with the ham and 2nd chicken version) with everyone standing around waiting for dinner,  I realized I needed to get a move on and not take time for 3 separate butter toppings! I figured butter and parm goes well with all 3, I added poppy seeds which sounds weird with bbq but really, you don't really taste them it's more for presentation I think. 

Naturally I forgot to take a picture after they baked with the butter topping! Aaannnddd I forgot to take a picture of the sliders filled with the bbq chicken, above is the creamy chicken - duh! 

Here's how I made them:

  • 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast (I boiled the chicken until done and then shredded it, you could also use rotisserie if you want to skip a step - my store was out so I did it the long way hahah)
  • 1/2 cup bbq sauce , more to taste or serve extra on the side (we like Sweet Baby Rays)
  • 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
  • 12 Hawaiian dinner rolls (not the sweet ones, although they'd also probably taste great)
  • 3 T. melted butter
  • garlic powder to taste (I didn't measure, probably about 1/2 t.)
  • 1 T. grated parmesan
  • poppy seeds (I didn't measure, enough to sprinkle them overtop of the sliders) 
Mix the chicken breast, bbq sauce, pineapple, and 1/3 cup cheese. Don't break apart the rolls, leave them in a rectangle all together - slice thru the middle so you have a slab of tops and a slab of bottoms. Lay the bottom of the rolls in a 13x9 baking dish, spread with the chicken mixture, top with remaining cheese. Put the top slab over the chicken cheese mixture. Mix together the melted butter and garlic powder and brush over the tops of the sliders, sprinkle with parmesan and poppy seeds. Cover and bake at 350' for 10 minutes, uncover and continue baking for another 5 until the cheese is melted and the tops are golden brown. 

Makes 12 sliders 

Ham and Cheese Sliders

you can Google and get lots of recipes for these, here's a pretty standard one:

  • 3/4 pound sliced ham
  • 3/4 pound swiss cheese slices
  • 12 Hawaiian sweet rolls (cut like in the recipe above, so you have a slab of tops and bottoms
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 T. dijon mustard
  • 1 T. poppy seeds
  • 2 t. dried minced onion
  • 2 t. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper
Preheat oven to 350'. Spray 13x9 pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Place the bottom of rolls in the pan, evenly layer the ham over the rolls, top with an even layer of cheese. Add the top slab of rolls. 

Mix together the melted butter and remaining ingredients; spread the mixture over the tops. Cover with foil and allow rolls to stand at room temp for about 5-10 minutes. Bake covered for about 20 minutes or until cheese has melted. Uncover and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the tops are golden brown. 

my note: I wouldn't use that much butter for the topping. You definitely want to spray the pan, mine stuck to the bottom. I put down 1/2 of the cheese slices on the bottom rolls, topped with the ham, then added the remaining cheese. I also don't think they'd need to bake for a full 20 minutes, so watch that they don't burn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment