Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Winter Porch Decor

I don't do a lot of outdoor decorating - a couple strands of lights around the back porch rail, a wreath or two that LeDonna hand makes (click here to read about how she does it, it's quite the system!), and the front porch. 

I've shown you how I decorate our front porch overhang for Halloween, but I don't think I've shared my winter version. On the underside of the overhang we have a few small nails so I can hang stuff - for Halloween or Fall it's colorful leaf garlands, mini pumpkins and rubber bats, for Winter/Christmas it's evergreen and pinecone garland, metal snowflakes, bells, and this year I added 3 large shatterproof balls. 


I've learned to hang the garland first and this year I struggled getting it to stay up, my usual twine and twist ties weren't cutting it - the neighbors must think I'm nuts watching me on the ladder trying to put it up and having it fall down then repeat, and repeat...it was snowing and cold while decorating over the weekend (I knew I should have put up the week before when it was SUNNY hahaha!) and that didn't help my frustration any, eventually I had to walk away from it and take a minute! While warming up (and eating hambone soup, recipe to follow soon) I had the thought that I should wire it up there with some thin craft wire and ah ha - I overcame my issue and nothing is coming down until I say it comes down.

the snow on the garland is not fake haha, it
 accumulated while I was hanging everything up!

After the garland was in place, I filled it with the snowflakes, bells, and balls. This has been my go-to winter porch plan for a while now and I still love love how it looks. If you don't have an overhang maybe this will inspire you to hang stuff around the doorway or columns or whatever you have! 


the underside of the overhang

12.1.20: TT: turkey stock

12.1.19: 🔥 week 48

12.1.18: pinecone snowman











12.1.17: wall pompom by B

12.1.16: quinoa salad 

12.1.15: make a snowman ornament




No comments:

Post a Comment