Friday, December 24, 2021

Saran Wrap Ball Game

This saran wrap ball game has been around for a while but it's the first time I've made one; we played it last night at our 'Family Festivus' Christmas get-together and it was so much fun! This will be repeated for sure, everyone loved it.

I bought lots of stuff from the dollar store and scratch off tickets to roll up in the ball, Cathy gave me the idea to add 'coal cards' and I really like that twist. I designed the cards on avery.com and interspersed them here and there with a piece of candy coal between prizes - they said things like 'swap one gift with the person to your left' or 'stop rolling and hum Silent Night, continue rolling if you have time left'. 


To make the ball I wrapped the mug in a few layers of saran wrap and cut it. Then start rolling again adding something every wrap or two and keep cutting it so whoever is unrolling has to keep finding the end to continue unrolling. Change directions and keep in mind you're trying to make a round ball shape - mine isn't perfectly round obviously but try for that shape. 


The center of my ball was a Christmas mug filled with a gift card and a couple pieces of candy, when I bought the mug I was sure it was going to be too big but it wasn't - in fact, I bought quite a few bigger things (puzzle, aroma diffuser, batteries, mini drinks...) and I thought I was going to have a huge saran ball but it all fit and was only maybe 14" or so.

Other things I added are candy/suckers/gum, advil packs, mini flashlight, car fragrance things, playing cards, chapstick, a bath pouf, sunflower seeds, mini cookies, fruit gems, fuzzy socks, a cactus candle, hand lotion...I also added gold chocolate coins and if you unwrapped a coin you got to steal a present from anyone at the table. One thing I'll do differently next time is you have to use your gold coin when you get it, not hold it until the end like I did - we then had to figure out who got to steal first and how many times you could steal, if you use it right away it'd be easier. 

One funny moment came about half way thru when Brooke had so many good prizes including a few scratch offs and Mickey got a coal card that said to trade all her prizes with anyone so she took all of Brookes (and Mickey had pretty much just candy hahahah) and B was crushed hahahahah. Don't worry, by the end she had most of it back thanks to more coal cards LOL. 

We played it the standard way rolling dice until doubles came up and then ball gets passed to the next person in the circle. There's lots of info on that online if you want to read more about how to play. A couple things I did to make it harder - I cut the saran wrap after rolling around the mug in the middle a few times to slow down who was going to win the 'big' prize, and then once I was done making the ball I cut small pieces of the saran wrap and layered them all around the outside of the ball - first person to start unrolling wasn't happy hahahha. Also, we wore throw away latex gloves which slowed things down but wasn't impossible. I read some people play it wearing oven mitts but that seems too hard! 

This was so much fun, I wish I would have taken pics while we were playing but I was too caught up in the game :)

Merry Christmas Eve!! 


12.24.20: snowman place setting

12.24.19: appetizer wreath

12.24.18: animal figurine small gift holder









12.24.17: turkey breast and stuffing

12.24.16: Christmas eve thoughts

12.24.15: pop up gift wrap



No comments:

Post a Comment