Sunday, December 27, 2015

Butter & Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Whiskey Butter Sauce

Whew, that title is a long one :). Made this for our Christmas dinner and thought I'd share. I've never made bread pudding before and up front I'll say it's never been my favorite dessert (it's a texture thing more than a flavor problem for me) but Dave loves it so....I saw this recipe here and wanted to try it. Since I don't eat it very much I'm not sure how it stands up to others, if it's the "best" ever - but I didn't hear any complaining while it was being devoured last night. I followed the recipe exactly for once - I think the recipe is a keeper but I might make a couple changes next time:
 I stood the bread up in the pan which looked pretty, but the sauce didn't cover the top part of the bread so it got quite crunchy - almost like toast. That wasn't a problem for me since I don't like the custardy texture of the bread soaked in the egg mixture, I just broke off the crispy bits and dipped them in the caramel sauce - which is by far my favorite part of this dessert. The sauce is wicked. If you don't want the crunchy parts then you might want to lay the bread down so the custard covers more of the bread.

I used plain old sliced white bread, which was fine since you are just soaking it in eggs and cream basically - but a loaf of unsliced bread cubed up would be even better!

I will add more spice next time, it was a little bland and extra cinnamon would help.







Other than that try this recipe - even if it's just for the caramel sauce. I'm tellin' ya - dip the crunchy pieces in that sauce and tell me it's not sinfully good and addictive!

this sauce is a must try!















No comments:

Post a Comment