Sunday, December 6, 2015

Rocky Road Cookies

I saw this recipe in a magazine - it's actually one dough that they made into 3 different cookies, what's not to like about a one dough with multiple options recipe? Well I was curious and wanted to try it...I had the ingredients on hand for the rocky road version so that's the only one of the 3 I tried - it's a basic dough so not much to talk about there, but after baking one sheet and taste testing (someone has to be the taste taster!) I thought they didn't have much flavor so decided to doctor the rest of the batch. 


I added a very big scoop of peanut butter,  a pinch of coarse salt, more marshmallows, and more chocolate chips. Oh, I should say that I didn't use chopped up dark chocolate - I had milk chocolate chips in the pantry so that's what I used, and I left out the nuts because I don't like nuts in cookies. Maybe the cookies would have been better with the ingredients called for instead of my substitution haha!! Anyway...adding the peanut butter to the batter made them taste much better.

 I drizzled them with chocolate chips melted with a tablespoon of shortening. You can drizzle by dunking a fork in the melted chocolate and flicking over the cookies, but I put it in a small ziplock baggie and cut a small corner off the tip and drizzled that way - much less messy and you can control the amount on each cookie easier I think.  They turned out really good - I will make these again with my changes for sure.  Note that on the website they aren't showing these as one dough for three cookies like they did in the magazine, the other 2 options are bourbon cranberry walnut, and caramel popcorn - both can be found on the website.


the batter is very crumbly but after scooping into balls it comes together and holds its shape... 

put the melted chocolate in a small baggie and snip a small corner off

then drizzle over cookies
2/2024 UPDATE: going back thru some of my old posts and when I click the link for the recipe it isn't found anymore. I hate that I didn't provide the recipes sometimes back in my olden days, this has happened to me before - only providing the link to the recipe was an oversight on my part. I can't find the original recipe, here is one from Wilton that seems pretty basic and looks similar to my finished cookie. Read the notes up top though that I really doctored the basic recipe - chances are I'd do the same with this recipe haha! 

  • 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 cup butter, softened

  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar

  • 1 egg

  • 1 teaspoon Clear Imitation Vanilla Extract, 2 oz.

  • 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks

  • 1 cup almonds

  • 1 cup mini marshmallows


  • Preheat oven to 350ºF.

  • In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix well. Stir in chocolate chunks, almonds and mini mallow bits. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie pan.

  • Bake 11-13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool 3 minutes on pan; remove and cool completely on cooling grid.


No comments:

Post a Comment