Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Packing Tips


We are going on vacation soon and I'm stressing over what to pack. Last year we went away with friends and I panicked at the last minute and just started throwing things in - and of course ended up not wearing like half of it - I overpacked so much that I left a big note in my suitcase that says "DO NOT PACK AS MUCH AS YOU DID LAST TIME" to remind myself! This isn't a long trip but it's the kind that I need to pack like one of everything, from super casual to black tie. Oh, and it's probably going to rain so I was advised to bring rainboots and a cute raincoat. Along with black tie and heels? Not easy to do!


I made myself a list (of course) and have everything laid out - then I got an email this morning regarding the trip and what other people will be wearing...one woman said she's wearing dresses like "Julia Roberts brown polka dotted one in Pretty Woman" complete with a hat - oh no, I don't have anything like that in my pile. Ugh. Now I have to revise the list and find some sundress thing if I want to blend in with the group hahah...I'm not much on blending in though so maybe it's all good. It is what it is and all that.

I think I'm a pretty good packer and have picked up some useful tips thru the years.
  • When figuring what to take I try to do neutral separates that can mix and match with other pieces - for example I'll take a top that can go with a couple different bottoms, etc. so I can change things up without having to overpack. 
  • if you pack basic pieces in plain colors (not a lot of pattern) and take lots of different accessories, you'll save space and be able to change your outfit easily (like scarves, jewelry, etc).
  •  I roll all the pieces up (I think it saves space and decreases wrinkles); if they are thin shirts I'll stack 2 or three of them and roll together. 
  • Put the larger heavier items at the bottom of the suitcase (the bottom when you stand the suitcase up, not when it's laying open on the floor) and work up to the lightest things at the top. I put my makeup and toiletry kit at the top so it doesn't get crushed, and if there is anything in there that I think might spill I put it in a plastic bag first. 
  • Shoes usually go around the edges with socks or small things stuffed inside - although this time I am going to try this idea I saw online, they put the shoes into plastic disposable shower caps so the soles don't touch anything. Like it, what a smart idea.
Once I get there it's going to be a fun trip, but deciding what I need (and want) to take is so hard!! I'm just repeating to myself over and over to not take too much, it'll be fine. And if I don't take so much with me that my suitcase is super stuffed like last year then I'll have room to do a little shopping if I need (or want!) anything :).






No comments:

Post a Comment