Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Patriotic Potato Salad

Dave doesn't love potatoes (gasp! I could live on potatoes alone) but he does like potato salad - he
likes it so much that when I don't have time to make it for him he'll go buy it at the grocery store for himself. A couple months ago he "accidentally" bought a different kind that had bleu cheese and bacon in it -  he said it was an accident but I'm pretty sure he saw bacon and just wanted it - and it inspired me to make a patriotic red, white, and bleu potato salad for July 4th this year.  I haven't googled it but I'm sure there are tons of recipes, I just winged this one.


Red potatoes, celery, mayo, a dash of mustard, salt and pepper, bleu cheese. No bacon (sorry Dave), I figure the potatoes, mayo, and cheese make it "red, white, and bleu" so bacon not necessary as far as I'm concerned, I'm sure it'd be a delicious addition if you want it!

I know this is unusual for me but I actually measured things this time so I could be a little more exact in my recipe! I don't know how many servings this makes, it's a pretty big bowl of it so I'd guess around 6-8.

2.5 pounds red skin potatoes
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each coarse salt and pepper

  • Boil the potatoes until soft when pierced with a fork but not mushy, and drain. Break them up into big bite sized pieces (I use a fork and knife and roughly break them up) and sprinkle with white vinegar and olive oil, coarse salt and pepper. Let them stand until cooled to room temp. (If you love potatoes as much as I do then you'll put a little bit of this mixture in a bowl and have it for a snack, it's really good...just sayin'). 

1 cup diced celery
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I use light mayo, can't tell the difference), or as much as you like
1 tablespoon spicy brown or dijon mustard
6 oz. bleu cheese crumbles

  • When the potatoes have cooled mix in celery, mayo, and mustard, then fold in the cheese. Adjust seasonings if it needs it.

I have parsley growing in my pallet herb garden so chopped some up to sprinkle on the top, not necessary but nice if you have it.

And of course feel free to add bacon if you want - don't tell Dave though cuz I didn't put it in his and he'll be jealous :)

2 comments:

  1. What did I read this right Dave does not potatoes? That is just not right. I am with you, can not live without them. Interesting recipe. Thank you for sharing. I will have to try this. Not a big fan of Blue Cheese, but I will give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a big bleu cheese fan either but am slowly starting to like it more. I will post the recipe that turned it around for me in a couple days for you, it's a bleu cheese dressing that is more like ranch with bleu cheese in it and I don't know why but I became somewhat addicted to it! After that I'm finding that I don't mind it as much now :).

    ReplyDelete