Thursday, May 20, 2021

MSIH: Chicken Tamale Casserole

I've had this recipe in my drafts for 3 years, finally got around to making it and I'm so glad I did - we loved this! Bought enough ingredients to make my sis a pan - figuring I haven't done a 'my sis is hungry' for quite a while; then Dave came home after seeing them and told me to get ready for a bad review - what? How could we love it and they dislike it? LOL - I hear my b-i-l doesn't like cornbread so yep, it makes sense he wouldn't like a dish that is basically doctored up corn bread as a meal instead of a side dish hahaha. Read below for her review!


  • 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
  • 1/3 cup fat-free milk
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute
  • 1 t. ground cumin
  • 1/8 t. ground red pepper
  • 1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream-style corn
  • 1 (8.5 oz) box corn muffin mix
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Preheat oven to 400'F. 

Combine 1/4 cup cheese, milk, egg, cumin, red pepper, corn, corn muffin mix, and green chiles; stir just to combine (don't over mix). Pour into a 13 x 9" casserole dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. 

Bake air 400' for 15 minutes until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with shredded chicken, sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup. shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cornbread is baked thru and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces, top each serving with a tablespoon of sour cream. 

Jill's notes: I pretty much followed this recipe with a couple changes: I substituted 1 egg for the egg substitute and added some crushed red pepper flakes; I didn't love the idea of the chicken just being on top of the cornbread layer so I added some mexican seasoning to the chicken and put it in the baking dish before adding the prepared batter. I didn't top with sour cream, served with a side salad/garnish of lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado, and sour cream. 

put seasoned chicken in the bottom of dish

add the batter over the chicken

bake 15 minutes or until set

poke holes and pour enchilada sauce over. add remaining cheese



From my Sis: 


Cornbread Casserole.  I LOVE Cornbread.  I’m going to let you peek to the last page of the book and say this was “good”.  The flavor was GREAT.  The Chicken (whatever Chicken my sister uses in this?) was GREAT.  Loved this.  What brought the entire recipe down for me to only a good was the consistency.  It was slightly Mushy.  Not sure what I would have preferred to keep it at a great but the base being mushy held me back. 

It had good flavor, like I said the chicken was awesome, and I put sour cream and jalepenos on mine also.  The husband didn’t put anything on his- and he gave it a solid “fine”.  But that isn’t a fair review because he doesn’t like cornbread. LOL.  

Brooke tried it also and didn’t enjoy but she’s a teenager so her review doesn’t count either.  If we ask her again today she may love it. HAHAHAHA.. Hope she doesn’t read this.

 

All in all, I try to give honest reviews – but hope by me doing that it doesn’t make my sister stop cooking for me! đŸ˜‰




Click here for original recipe and source

No comments:

Post a Comment