Saturday, May 22, 2021

Jam Thumbprint Molasses Cookies

 I made these using Cathy's recipe for molasses cookies (click here for that post and a funny story, see below for the recipe); after rolling into balls and white sugar I just made a small well in the top of each one and added about 1/2 t. jam. You can press your thumb into the top, use the bottom of a small glass, or I found the handle of my pizza slicer is perfect! Bake as directed. Yum.




These are much prettier in person, they remind me of flowers. Use whatever kind of jam you like, I made with low-sugar strawberry. 

MOLASSES SUGAR COOKIES

  • 3/4 cups shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 2 t. baking soda
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 t. ground cloves
  • 1/2 t. ginger
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. salt
Melt shortening in a 3 or 4 quart pan over low heat. Remove, cool. add sugar, egg, and molasses and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients and add to sugar and molasses mixture, mix well and chill until cold. Roll in 1 inch balls, roll in sugar, and place on uncreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake at 375' for 8-10 minutes. Makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen 


No comments:

Post a Comment