Thursday, October 18, 2018

Spinach Maria Soup

Today is my mom's birthday and I was thinking about some recipes and ideas she's given me that I could post in honor of her - there's quite a few of them but this soup popped into my brain and now I want to make it for lunch, so I'm sharing this one :) I don't have a photo (since I'm posting this before I make it!) but it looks like cream of spinach soup ... I'll leave you this adorable bunny and spinach photo instead:


I actually can't remember if mom gave me this recipe, or if she raved about the soup so much that I went and found the recipe somewhere (if I did I have no idea where so can't give credit).  Either way she gets the credit for telling me about it, and I've made it quite a few times since and we really like it. Perfect chilly fall day soup.

SPINACH MARIA SOUP

1/2 stick butter
1/2 small onion, chopped
3 T. flour (mixed with a little water)
3 cups chicken broth 
4 oz. cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
milk, as needed for consistency
1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 can artichoke bottoms, chopped into small bite-sized pieces

  • Melt the butter, add onion and sauté until the onions are wilted and softened.
  • In a small bowl combine 3 T. flour with a little water to make a thin roux, add to the butter and onions in the pan and stir to combine. Cook and stir for a couple minutes, then add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. 
  • Reduce temperature and add cream cheese, 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt, and enough milk to reach the consistency you want.
  • Add chopped spinach and chopped artichokes: continue cooking over low heat, stirring occasionally, until everything is heated thru and creamy smooth. 

10.18.2017: pineapple upside down bundt cake










10.18.2016: pumpkin owl












10.18.2015: spinach artichoke spaghetti squash

No comments:

Post a Comment