Monday, October 21, 2019

Tissue Paper Pumpkin


I have a big tissue paper ball hanging in my craft room and it gave me the idea for this pumpkin ball. I made the black/red/white one by combining a bunch of tissue paper flowers I made years ago to decorate the little football cheerleader parade wagon (I made them out of our team colors and put them on top of posters and around the wagon - too much work to just throw them out!), by putting the flat bottoms together it created a ball that I then tied a length of string to and hung from the ceiling:


I went to a dollar store looking for orange tissue paper to make a pumpkin ball but they didn't have - they did have orange tissue ball garland tho and it's basically exactly what I was going to make by cutting squares of tissue and layering them together so I took the shortcut! If making this out of sheets of tissue paper, you'll need 8 (5.5" x 6.5") squares for each ball - I made 6 small balls and put them all together to make one big one.


(do you remember how to make a tissue paper flower? I've posted them a couple times, click here and here for examples and instructions).


Stack the 8 squares on top of each other and accordion fold back and forth in about 1/2" folds. Tie a length of thin ribbon or cord in the middle. Unfold each layer, leaving the bottom flat instead of making it into a ball. Repeat for a total of 6.




Tie all 6 of them together using the tails from the middle of each one. Add curled pipe cleaners for the stems if desired. Now you can either hang it by a longer piece of ribbon or cord, use it as a table decoration, put on top of a present...whatever.

Oh, and you could just make one small ball and add pipe cleaner stem - that'd be really cute as place settings:
one tissue ball

6 tissue balls tied together








No comments:

Post a Comment