Thursday, October 24, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: pumpkin pie twists

Yum. Just Yum. 

Review over. 



HAHAHHAA. Ok, ok.  I can elaborate. 

I saw this recipe on facebook of all places and saved it because I felt it was within my skill set.  Then I rethought it in a fit of laziness and decided to pass it on to my sister in the hopes she would make it for me!
She not only made it but she hand delivered to my work.  First problem- she handed it to me in front of our building manager.  He promptly said he needed to “investigate” before I could take them.  He took one bite and asked if my sister was single.  I then decided not to take the rest inside and took them directly to my car instead.  As I was walking away from my car I decided I was a little hungry and took one with me.  YUM.  So great.  I then very hurriedly stuffed it all in my mouth so no one would see me eating and ask me for another one. 
Suffice it to say I love this.  LOVE.  It was like a little pumpkin pie in my hand.  The dough was flaky (assuming she bought this like the directions called for?), the ratio of pumpkin to dough was great.  Stored them in the fridge and it was just as delicious when chilled.  These would be perfect for any fall dish to pass, dessert, or even just for a snack.

All in all these were amazing… and totally within my skill set.  Even though I still want my sister to make them for me.


Ingredients:
  • 1 (8 oz) can crescent rolls
  • 1/4-1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
  • 2 T. butter, melted
  • 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 T. butter, softened
  • 2 T. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • dash of vanilla


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375'. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

Unroll crescent dough to it's full rectangle size (don't separate into triangles), separate into 4 smaller equal rectangles - pat them out a bit so all 4 rectangles are the same shape.

Spread pumpkin onto 2 of the rectangles. Note * you are going to put the second rectangle on top of the pumpkin, so while you want a generous pumpkin layer you don't want it to gush out either. Use your judgement. 

Place the other 2 rectangles on top of the pumpkin, lightly press edges together.


Brush melted butter on top of rectangles, sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Using a pizza cutter, cut both rectangles into 6 long strips.

note my different sized rectangles! 
Twist each strip a few times, lay on the baking sheet and press the ends down a bit. Brush any leftover butter on the twists and sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice if desired. Bake for 8-10 minutes. 


After the twists have cooled, make cream cheese icing by beating together 2 T. softened butter, 
2 T. softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Fill a ziplock bag with icing, snip off a corner and drizzle the icing over the twists. 

I was lazy and didn't individually ice them, just laid them next to each other
and squiggled the icing on en masse hahaha. Works just fine!

Jill's notes: I reduced some of the amounts called for in the original recipe I loosely followed, there are lots of recipes online if you want to search for how others make these. I did put the icing in a baggie as directed but whether I'm just super powerful or the baggie was weak the whole side of the baggie popped a hole and there was icing everywhere. Everywhere. Next time I think I'll make the icing a bit runnier and drizzle over the twists with a fork. 

Also, as an aside - if you've been reading my sissy's reviews long enough are you also wondering why she didn't ask if these are healthy? All her reviews say something like "I'll score this one higher if it's healthy" but not this time LOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment