Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Chicken Scaloppine al Marsala

This recipe has been in my folder for a really long time and we love it - I don't follow it for the chicken prep (which is to dredge and fry the chicken) but that would make it more of a traditional Chicken Marsala, I just make the mushroom sauce and put it over grilled chicken and noodles. So good. 

PS: don't let the 'fancy' title scare you off - it's thin chicken cutlets ('scaloppine') in a mushroom wine sauce ('al marsala'). 





I'll give you the recipe as written (by the way, I have no idea what magazine I tore this out of so don't know who to credit!), then I'll tell you my changes after.

  • 1/4 cup rice flour
  • 6 thin-cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 4 ounces each
  • 3 T. olive oil
  • 1 package (8 oz.) sliced brown mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup marsala wine
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/8 t. pepper
  • 1 package (10 oz.) brown rice couscous (such as Lundberg)
  • 1 T. unsalted butter
  • 1 T. chopped parsley
1. Place the rice flour on a large plate. Coat the chicken in the flour. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 T. of oil and sauté half the chicken for 1 to 2 minutes per side until lightly browned. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with a second tablespoon of the oil and the remaining chicken. 

2. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and stir in the mushrooms. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until tender. Off heat, add in the marsala and cook for 1 minute, scraping any brown bits from the skillet. Add the broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Gently simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. 

3. Meanwhile, prepare the couscous following package directions, about 15 minutes. 

4. Stir butter and parsley into the chicken and sauce and serve with the prepared couscous. 

My notes:
  • we serve the mushroom sauce over grilled chicken, so I don't use flour or sauté the chicken in the skillet. 
  • I double the sliced mushrooms (brown or white) and cook them in 1 T. oil; add the wine, broth, salt and pepper, butter and parsley as directed. 
  • I usually serve this over buttered noodles. 
  • substitutes for marsala include madeira, sherry, vermouth, and wine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment