Monday, June 22, 2020

Watermelon Windsock


I bought green and red plastic tablecloths at the dollar store to make a watermelon wreath, but before that happened I had the idea to make a windsock (I have lots of plastic left over and will still make the wreath!) because we needed a 'thing' at our campsite - everyone there has crap stuff decorating their sites and I was feeling boring and left out hahahaha, and we can't have that. I'm not sure Dave would let me hang a wreath on the camper door, but he didn't object to the windsock (he probably thinks he lucked out that I haven't planted flamingos all around LOL). I planned to add 'seeds' on the red strips using a sharpie, but since I made it on a whim at the campground I didn't have a sharpie on hand - and I think it looks cute without so all good, I might add the seeds later....and I'll post when I make the wreath, it will be green on the outer edge and red with seeds in the center and most likely will hang on our back door.


Supplies:
  • plastic tablecloths (green, red)
  • wire circle or hoop (I used the inside circle from a cross stitch hoop that I bought at Walmart for a couple bucks)
  • scissors
  • clear fishing line or twine to hang, or attach 3 strips of braided tablecloth (see pics)
  • sharpie for seeds if you want to add them

Cut strips of tablecloth roughly 1" wide, I cut 2 red strips to every 1 green strip so there'd be more red than green (just like a watermelon). I didn't take a photo of which way to cut the plastic - remove the folded rectangle of tablecloth from the bag it comes in and don't unfold. Cut the strips from the long edge, unfold the strip and find the center, fold in half and tie onto the ring with a lark's head knot (put the folded end under the wire, bring the 2 loose ends up and put thru the folded loop, pull to tighten). Click here to see a patriotic windsock I made 3 years ago with step by step pictures of how to tie the strips on if you need more info.  If you have a sharpie, draw a few black 'seeds' on the red strips.


I didn't have fishing line or twine to add as a hanger, so instead I tied on 3 strips of plastic and braided them together, then knot on the other side. It doesn't have to be a perfect braid (says the person who made the worst braid ever).


6.29.17: patriotic red, white, and blue windsock

No comments:

Post a Comment