Monday, June 1, 2020

Wine Cork Plant Markers

It's been a long time since I've done a wine cork craft - and not because I stopped drinking wine and have run out corks LOL. Mickey sent me a bunch of plant marker ideas and they got me thinking maybe I could make some out of corks; I googled and got a couple different ideas, by combining a few of them I came up with these. Silly, fun, and of course practical hahaha - I'm enjoying how they turned out!


So easy - stick the pointy end of a bamboo skewer into one end of the cork (I stuck it in the end that the corkscrew hole is already in); using painters tape cover part of the cork - it doesn't stick to the cork itself very good so wrap around until it overlaps itself and then it sticks; paint the exposed cork whatever color you want, light colors are probably best so you can read the words you'll be adding; let it dry. I stood them up in an empty can while they were drying.



Once dry, remove the tape and write on the plant name using a sharpie. You can be done here, or jazz them up a bit more like I did by twisting some thin wire and adding beads, then stick the end of the wire into the top of the cork.




I did a couple with regular corks, and a couple with plastic corks. Both work, the paint sticks to the natural cork better with just one coat, the plastic took 2 coats. I used regular acrylic craft paint, we'll see what happens after they get rained on! If you want to make sure they stay nice and pretty you could spray with a clear coat.




No comments:

Post a Comment