Thursday, November 21, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: Butternut Mac and Cheese

So the husband was super excited to try this one.  SUPER excited.  My thoughts on this were less descript – I thought it was “ok”.  like not the best I have ever had but a perfectly ok macaroni and cheese.  I did have a feeling this was some kind of healthy thing so that would make me like it WAY better.  Because if its healthy then its GREAT.  Like a perfectly GREAT alternative to fatty mac n cheese and still getting to eat the goodness.  If it is NOT healthy though then I would prefer to toss some Velveeta in it or something?  Anyway.. my Husband had much more to say about it so I’ll just write his thoughts.



His first question was why the top didn’t melt.  He wasn’t sure it was done.  I told him I didn’t think it was going to “melt” because it was some kind of bread crumb topping or something, not cheese.  LOL.  As he stirred it up he said it looked a little dry to him.  He reminded me that he’s the one who adds way too much milk to his boxed mac n cheese and makes it gross and milky.  So not saucy enough was his next thought.  He said the same as I wrote above.  It was “fine”.  He didn’t mentioning tasting butternut or whatever other weird thing my sister says was in it.  I asked him if It was healthy would he like it better?? He agreed yes.  We eat the weird microwave veggie pasta stuff that isn’t necessarily GREAT but its good and it’s a healthy alternative to real mac n cheese.  I would put this in the same category. It was fine. Ok.  not the best mac n cheese I have ever eaten.  Today for lunch I’ll be adding some Velveeta and I’m sure my review will improve immensely.  ðŸ˜Š



Ingredients:

  • 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1-pound size squash)
  • 1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2 T. plain fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. black pepper
  • 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded Gruyere cheese
  • 1 cup (4 oz.) grated pecorino romano cheese
  • 1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
  • 1 pound cavatappi pasta
  • cooking spray
  • 1 t. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 T. chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375'.

2. Combine squash, broth, milk and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. 

3. Place the hot squash mixture in a blender. Add salt, pepper, and Greek yogurt. Remove the center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. place blended squash mixture in a bowl; stir in Gruyere, pecorino romano, and 2 T. parmigiano-reggiano. Stir until combined.

4. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to squash mixture and stir until combined. Spread mixture evenly into a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray.

5. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add panko, and cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 T. parmigiana-reggiano cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the hot pasta mixture. Lightly coat topping with cooking spray. 

6. Bake at 375' for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.




original recipe and source here

Jill here: I'm surprised this seemed dry to them, when I packaged it up it was plenty saucy - and in case the noodles soaked up the sauce before my sis baked it,  I held out about a cup of cooked noodles. If you make this don't add all the cooked noodles to the sauce at once, put in half and stir to combine, continue to add a bit more, stir to combine - making sure it seems like enough sauce. I will say that Dave and I had a small side of this with dinner the next night and we both thought it was great! Maybe that's because having any kind of saucy noodles is a treat for us hahaha. Other than the pasta itself this is a very healthy sauce - my sis will be happy to hear that (and kick herself for adding velveeta to ruin the healthiness!).

No comments:

Post a Comment