Thursday, November 14, 2019

My Sis is Hungry: Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

So. I needed to not go by her title on this one at all.  Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookie something or other.  First of all I’m not a huge cookie fan.  I mean, I’ll take a hot chocolate chip out of the oven (who wouldn’t) or I do love a good no bake (except my kids think they are meant to eat with a spoon off wax paper, since mine never firm up.  Story for a different day).  Sorry, lost my train of thought there...back to pumpkin blah blah blah cookie.  Hmmm..


So it looked fine.  A brown weird lump of cookie.  I could smell the pumpkin which did indeed draw me in.  Let me be clear that this did not taste anything to me like a cookie.  It was more like a pumpkin muffin top.  Or a pumpkin bread dollop. (oooh bread dollop.. new invention?).. 

Anyway.. Delicious.  LOVED these.  Not too sweet, loved that it wasn’t a crunchy cookie but was more of a bread texture.  And even a few days later still moist and delicious.  Could taste the pumpkin – so the husband didn’t like them for that reason.  The teen however LOVED them.  Only negative for that is since they were not cookie-like she was eating them for breakfast and pretending it was a health food.  Yes it has pumpkin however its got sugar all over the top.  Come on kid, you can't count that as health food. She did indeed eat them until they were gone.  So please don’t make us more.  Ok make us a few more.. and I’ll hide them.


Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. cream of tartar
  • 1/2 t. coarse salt
  • pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and allowed to cool
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling, there's a difference)
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/3 cup fine sanding sugar (note: I used regular sugar)
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. ground allspice
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375'. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, and nutmeg. 

2. In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, and pumpkin until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add four mixture and stir to combine, about 2 minutes. 

3. In a small bowl, whisk together sanding sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. Drop heaping tablespoons of ought into sugar mixture and roll into 1 1/2" balls. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, 3 inches apart. Using a spatula, flatten balls to just under 1/2" thick. Sprinkle with more sugar mixture.

4. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until light golden brown and firm to touch, 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to a wire rack an let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days.


Jill's notes: this dough is very soft, I scooped small balls with my smallest cookie scoop, dropped them into the sugar then took a fork to turn the dough or else they fell apart. They do not taste like snickerdoodles to me, and my sissy is spot-on when she called them pumpkin muffin tops - I might rename these and form them into cookies that look even more like a muffin top! Please note that I'm not even reacting to her "brown weird lump of cookie" comment - what does she expect from a muffin top? ;)

11.14.18: pinecone owls

11.14.17: kid craft: decorating apples

11.14.16: curvy keepsake box turkey

11.14.15: wine and design: fall centerpiece







recipe found here






No comments:

Post a Comment