Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Tip-sy Tuesday: preserving whole pumpkins

I bought some really big pumpkins and got to thinking how to keep them nice until Thanksgiving - I'm not planning to carve them but still don't want them rotting and getting gross since I'd like to keep them around for outdoor decor for 2 months. So I did what anyone who wants to know anything does - turned to Mr. Google. 


I read a few different techniques but the one I'm going to do is to first clean them with vinegar and water to get rid of any bacteria on the surface, and then wipe them with WD-40 or floor cleaner and buff to a high shine. You can't eat them after doing that, but I'm not planning to be hungry enough to have to eat my big decorative pumpkins! If I decide to carve them the oil or floor cleaner won't hurt, and might actually help - I read that spraying WD or other oil on the cut surfaces will help protect them. Good to know, right? 


10.12.20: pineapple jack o'lantern

No comments:

Post a Comment