Wednesday, June 14, 2023

"Welcome to the Jungle" (aka vegetable soup)

I made soup the other day using just every kind of vegetable I had in my fridge, and it turned out so good! I recently read a book titled 'Ditch the Diet' and one piece of advice is to eat more vegetables (duh) and that when you open the fridge you should hear 'welcome to the jungle' hahah. So that's what I named my very chock-full of vegetables soup! I gave some to my sis - here's her review (in addition to my review that it's so good hahah), here's what she has to say and the recipe follows:

Unexpectedly my sister dropped me off a tub of soup- wasnt a "planned" dinner, just a random gift. I could tell on first glance it was FULL of veggies so didnt figure there was any point in saving it for the husband to share. Its appearance gave off the whole cabbage soup craze of years gone by.  Not going to lie, I never minded the cabbage soup but wasnt filling and wasnt exactly full of flavor. 

That said, I had low expectations. Boy was I wrong. It was honestly DELICIOUS.  I am not a big soup lover but this one was GREAT.  The flavor was fantastic, the veggies were filling, just all in all a great soup.  

In full disclosure I did immediately call her and ask what the broth was because I was hoping it wasnt absurdly bad for me- and it wasn't!! Check out her recipe- it was great. I'll make this one again for sure. 

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE SOUP

I didn't measure the veggies, just chopped what I had into bite-sized pieces: 

  • broccoli
  • carrots
  • onion
  • red pepper
  • celery
  • mushrooms
  • green beans
  • zucchini 
  • summer squash
  • cabbage
  • baby spinach (or cut big spinach leaves into smaller pieces)
  • 1 large can Italian Sauce 
  • 1 small can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with seasoning
  • 1 small can water
  • 1 packet dried onion soup mix
  • salt and pepper
  • tabasco sauce
Saute the veggies in a small amount of olive oil, starting with the ones that take the longest to cook (onion, carrot, celery) then add the others as you chop them except for the spinach - you'll wilt that last. Saute a few minutes until starting to soften, stirring occasionally; add the sauce, tomatoes, water and onion soup mix. Cook until the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach, stir to combine; add salt,  pepper, and a few dashes of tabasco to taste; cover and cook until the spinach is wilted.






No comments:

Post a Comment