Monday, June 12, 2023

Combining Dog Tricks

This is my absolute favorite thing to do with Sarge - he knows a bunch of regular ol' dog tricks so I've been working on combining them together to make a different trick. For instance, he does 'statue' sitting on his butt with front legs in the air (other people call it 'sitting pretty') and he also does 'bang' where I make a gun shape with my thumb and index finger and say bang and he falls over. So put the two together and he's like a statue that falls over. Or he knows how to spin, so I'll say "spin two times and die" and he does just that. It's adorable.

hi!


Take that even farther and we act out a story. I have it on video but for some reason I can't get my videos to post on the blog - please go to my youtube channel (Jill Pasant) if you want to watch it, the link is https://youtu.be/VENELMf6Z0U -  it varies sometimes because I forget the story hahaha, but the breakdown is something like this:

me: hey Dave, did you hear the story about the bank robber? Sarge will reenact it for you...

"Once upon a time, a man was working at a bank when a robber came in. The man said 'hi' (Sarge waves) but the robber said 'this is a stickup, hands in the air, give me all your money!' (Sarge does statue). 'Don't got any money? Then bang!' (Sarge falls onto his side but is still moving his legs). The man crawled for the door (Sarge crawls) and yelled 'help'! (Sarge speaks) but it was too late, he died. (Sarge falls over and lays still)."

I'm telling you, it's adorable and you can't help but laugh. Problem with this story is we have done it so many times Sarge just does all the tricks in a row without waiting for his cues LOL. Like he's on his side with his legs kicking before the robber even says 'hands in the air' - which is also super cute and funny but I need to come up with a new story!

Sarges list of tricks for me to combine include:
  • sit, stay, down
  • crawl
  • wave
  • hi 5, down low
  • shake with either paw (note: his legs are like 4 inches long so wave, hi 5, and shake are all pretty similar!)
  • touch
  • pick a hand
  • roll over
  • bang, die
  • spin, spin 2 times
  • statue
  • speak
  • speak little (softer barking)
and we are currently working on backing up, and kicking the ball to me

If your dog knows tricks you can string them together to make a different trick or routine. The hardest part is thinking of what you want them to do! 


6.12.22: ðŸ”¥ week 24

6.12.21: cauliflower pizza casserole 

6.12.20: Al and Cathy change their kitchen island 

















No comments:

Post a Comment