Monday, December 5, 2016

Funky Folksy Deer

Made this for Ronda's December seasonal display table and I have to say it was a little hard for me to let it go - this turned out sooooooo cute. It was really simple to make so I parted with him knowing I can easily make another ;)


Supplies:
-white fake pumpkin (found at the craft store - you could always use an orange one and paint it, or even a real one but I worry about them getting all mushy in the house)
-2 different color (and sizes if you want) buttons for the eyes
-triangle piece of felt for the nose
-2 pieces of felt for its ears (I just cut out sort of rounded ovals in the size I thought would work for my pumpkin)
- 2 sticks for the antlers (I roamed around the yard looking for sticks that were the right size and shape)
-miscellaneous bits of yarn

Directions:
-hot glue the buttons, felt nose, and felt ears in place. For the ears I pinched the bottom of the oval together so they would form ears and glued them on.
-wrap the yard around the sticks in different areas, as much or little as you want. It looks cute to wrap up some of the little side parts of the stick too - I hot glued the beginning of the yarn in place, wrapped as high as I wanted and then glued the end down; repeat with other colors in other areas, trying to hide the glue and ends as best I could.
-poke small holes in the top of the pumpkin where you want the antlers to go and stick them in. I didn't like being able to see where the sticks went into the pumpkin so I wrapped short pieces of yarn around the opening and glued the ends down neatly.

Seriously, I think this is adorable. I got the idea for it in some magazine a long time ago, it's been in my idea file for ages so I don't remember where it's from...



No comments:

Post a Comment