Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Lucy's Birthday

Happy November! Gosh October flew by and I didn’t even realize today is November 1st which is Lucy’s 44th birthday - I totally forgot to get her a gift 🤦‍♀️ Lucky for me, she’s a parrot haha - and while she’s very smart she can’t read and doesn’t know the date lol. In honor of her b-day, here’s a re-run post of something I made her back in 2019:

Lucy is an aggressive newspaper ripper-upper. If there was a contest for shredding paper she'd win for sure - I always compliment her on what a fine mess she's made and what a good nest builder she'd be LOL. To try to get her to stop ripping the papers that line her cage (which makes a big mess of bird poop, fruit, veggies, and newspaper shreds! Disgusting...) I made her a hanging paper braid hoping that'd be more interesting. She loved it - Dave said I'm just encouraging her to shred paper but I think it's a good distraction and she enjoyed it... it still made a big mess of course  but at least it was a clean big mess!



Cut strips of newspaper, clip a few strips together at the top. Braid until about 6" to go and then add in additional paper strips - along the lines of french braiding your hair if you know how to do that. Braid until it's long enough to form into a circle then hold closed with a short cable tie (or twine). I made two circles and joined them together, then hung in her cage. Cheapest bird toy short of pepper tree sticks, q-tips, or any of my stuff that she grabs off the counter before I can stop her!










No comments:

Post a Comment