Monday, November 6, 2023

Crockpot Beef Stew - v2

I made beef stew in the crockpot last week, when I looked for my recipe I found that I've posted 2 different versions so I decided to combine parts of each into what turned out to be fantastic stew! Figured I'd share since we liked it so much - this will now be my go-to recipe. 

Click on each of the links below to see the separate recipes, both are great on their own -  I'll give you what I did this time. 

crockpot beef stew

beef and beer stew 

Crockpot Beef Stew (version 2) 

  • 3 lbs bottom round, trimmed, cut into 6 large pieces
  • 1 cup flour
  • salt and pepper 
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 onions, diced (add more if you like onion, Dave doesn't so I go easy with it)
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced or quartered
  • 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, don't drain
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 1 lb. potatoes, cut into 2" pieces
  • 1/2 lb. baby carrots
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon salt, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup frozen peas

Coat beef in flour. Season with salt and pepper. Heat oil over med-high, brown meat on all sides. Put in 4 to 6 quart crock pot. Add onions and mushrooms to skillet, cook a few minutes until onion is translucent and mushrooms are browned. Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes and wine until the tomato paste is fully incorporated, transfer to cooker. Stir in all remaining ingredients except peas; cover and cook on low heat 7 1/2 hours or high for 4 hours. Break the meat into smaller bite sized pieces if they are still in large chunks. Add peas and heat thru. Remove bay leaf before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment