Friday, April 13, 2018

Florian's Sauerkraut

Florian makes the. most. delicious. sauerkraut. ever. It's taken me years and years to like sauerkraut but now I don't mind it every now and then...until I had Florian's. And now I love it and will be making this so often!


I didn't ask him if I can share the recipe, I'm hoping he doesn't care...it's just so good I couldn't wait to share so you'll get to enjoy it too :)

I don't have the amounts, I'll just tell you how he told it to me:

Saute diced onions, carrots, and bacon in clarified butter. Add   some stock (I can't remember how much, I'm thinking like 3 cups). Add sauerkraut (note, depending on the kind of sauerkraut you use you might want to rinse some or all of it. Florian is German and goes to the German market to get the sauerkraut for this dish, if it's too salty or strong he rinses it - not sure how our regular old sauerkraut might differ). Cook that for a while and then add some finely chopped apple, grated russet potato, a couple bay leaves, a few juniper berries, 1/2 teaspoon cumin.

That's all I got and until I make it for myself I won't have better measurements. Feel your way around with how much of everything to use - it all cooks down together so let it go until all the liquid is absorbed. I think he said like an hour (but watch it in case I'm not remembering that correctly!).


No comments:

Post a Comment