Friday, April 6, 2018

DIY Heating Pad

My neck and back have been bothering me so I went to an ex-ortho nurse turned massage therapist today that does NOT give the kind of relaxing massage that sounds like heaven right now but works on the painful issues instead...so I can't really say I had a "massage", more like intensive therapeutic work! Anyway, you don't care about that and it's not my point hahaha...she mentioned that heat would be helpful to loosen things up and I said I have an electric heating pad and she said what would be better is one of those microwaveable packs that only stay hot for a few minutes and really target the areas that need it. I don't have one of those here but I do have scrap material, a couple bags of small dried beans, and a sewing machine...so...about 10 minutes later my heating pad was made.

I cut up an old pillowcase into a rectangle about 6" x 19". Turn the right sides facing each other and sew around all open sides leaving a couple inch gap in one end so you can fill it. Turn the whole thing right side out, fill it with the beans (you can also use rice), hand sew the little opening or do what I did and just machine sew across the entire end to close it. I did this because (a) it's for me and no one will ever see it so it didn't need to look perfect and (b) I was sitting at my machine and it's way faster to machine sew than hand stitch hahahah - which is sort of (c) I'm lazy. If I was making these for gifts I'd totally do it the right way and hand sew to close the opening!


I shaped a piece of paper into a cone as a makeshift funnel 


In the middle of making this heating pad Dave brought me Sarge's new stuffed hedgehog that needed a trip to the "hospital" because his nose was bit off and the stuffing was coming out - I had to stop what I was doing to fix it because Sarge was driving me crazy wanting it back!



 Right now I have it on my neck while blogging this and it isn't even warm - just the weight of it feels SO good....ahhhhhhh.....some relief! Oh, I forgot that when I was filling the pad with the beans I added a few drops of doTerra lavender oil in case the beans smelled funny after heating them. So it feels good AND smells good :)

one year ago: household emergency kit
two years ago: Sheryl's stuffed mini sweet peppers



No comments:

Post a Comment