Thursday, July 7, 2022

V8 soup (or Caffe Miso Tomato Bisque)

I think we have firmly established that my sister is a great cook.  I also think we have established that I LOVE when she makes me things so I hate to be harsh on anything she has graciously and kindly made me.

That said.. this soup.  Ummmmm…. Didn’t love at all.  Ok that was me being kind.  HAHAHAHA.

It was slightly the consistency of baby food.  Actually it kind of tasted like what I recall some baby food tasting like. After I chatted with her and told her I didn’t love it she said it reminded her of V8 juice and that was the AHA moment for me. 

AHA!! That’s the flavor! V8 juice. 

 

Didn’t love. (but do still appreciate my sister cooking for me!)


CAFFE MISTO TOMATO BISQUE (now known as V-8 soup!)

  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 yellow squash, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 T. chopped garlic
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 8 cups canned diced tomatoes with juice
  • 4 cups tomato puree
  • 1 t. chopped oregano
  • 1 t. chopped basil
  • salt, pepper
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • croutons, optional
  • grated parmesan cheese, optional
1. Sauce zucchini, squash, carrot, onion, and garlic in olive oil in saucepan over medium-low heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 25 minutes.

2. Process in batches in blender until smooth and thick. Return mixture to saucepan, add whipping cream and cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until cream is heated through, about 10 minutes. Top with croutons and cheese if desired. 

8 servings


Jill here - I didn't love this, but probably liked it more than my sis. I made some changes and maybe that added to it not being great - I had a ton of tomatoes that I needed to use up so instead of canned I diced fresh tomatoes; didn't have tomato puree so subbed in tomato sauce; used dried Italian seasoning instead of oregano and basil; and processed it in the food processor instead of a blender and that might have had something to do with the texture - I could not get it smooth. The flavor is good, which is why I'm sharing the recipe, maybe just make it according to the actual recipe and not with my shortcuts haha!! 

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the finished soup - it looks like thick pureed tomato soup, not visibly chunky but not smooth. It has a texture for sure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment