Thursday, May 4, 2023

Salisbury Steak Patties with Mushrooms and Onions by Macey

 Salisbury Steaks: With Mushrooms + Onions 



  • 2 Salisbury Patties (See Below ** for Recipe)
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 ½ tablespoons steak seasoning, or as desired (My favorite is Montreal Steak Seasoning; what I used for this recipe as well!)
  • Black Pepper and Sea Salt as desired
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil


** Salisbury Patties: I do not have specific measurements for this; I just eye ball it as I go… However, the ingredients that go into the patties are below: 


              Ground Beef
              Worcestershire Sauce
              1 Egg
              a couple dashes of Milk :) (if that makes sense haha)
              Gluten Free Breadcrumbs to absorb excess moisture, help the patty keep it’s shape!


  1. Place the patties side by side in a dish; add in the OJ, Apple Cider Vinegar and the Worcestershire Sauce (yum!) I let these babies marinate in the fridge for 45-60mins.

•••• lucky for me, I am blessed with an orange tree in the backyard! So all I do is squeeze the juice into a measuring cup and then pour into the dish. However, I think any kind of OJ would be good! 


  1. Preheat the oven to 425, and remove the dish from the fridge; cover patties in plastic wrap and allow them to become room temp (roughly 15mins). Then, place patties on a clean cutting board and rub them with sea salt/ black pepper, Montreal Steak Seasoning.
  2. In a cast iron pan, heat the Olive Oil on high heat; once the oil starts to bubble, throw the steaks in (not literally throw.. But you know what I mean lol) and let them cook on high until they're lightly browned on each side. (~2-3 mins).
  3. Then transfer the patties (still in the skillet) back into the oven. I use a thermometer to make sure they are the way that I like (135ish) which usually takes 8-9 mins in the oven.
  4. While patties are cooking, I heat a second pan on the stovetop where I first add chopped onions and mushrooms cooked in olive oil, some red wine, and salt and pepper to taste. When they're almost done cooking / sautéing, then I add in the chopped garlic right at the end (so it doesn’t burn). Make sure before you add garlic that the red wine has burned off so then when you throw garlic in, you can reduce the heat. It should be burned off if you put it in right when you put the onions and mushrooms down! (You don’t want to taste the alcohol … normally you would; or at least I do ;) but for cooking… high heat until the alcohol in the red wine has had a chance to cook out. 

** If you want more “sauce” aka Gravy… (which I do!) I leave the remains from the mushrooms and onions in the pan, add some beef stock, corn starch, and a dash (or 2) of heavy cream… again, I’m eyeballing this depending on how thick I want the gravy to be and how much of the scrapings left in the pan… Scrape the goodness from the pan (the oil / juices the mushrooms onions garlic made) and slowly add the starch in to ensure it’s not too thick! (super easy, and super yum).

 

You can either have this with a baked potato on the side, or on top of a healthy scoop(s) of mashed potatoes.


Check back next time and I'll share how I make my mashed potatoes! 





No comments:

Post a Comment