Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Tip-sy Tuesday: Substituting Evaporated Milk

Quick tip for today - I was making buttercream frosting over the weekend for Kenedy's birthday cake but didn't have milk or cream, and didn't want to run to the grocery store if I could help it...so I took a chance on substituting evaporated milk (I usually have both evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk on hand) and I'm happy to report it works! Whew.


Note: don't use sweetened condensed milk, it's very thick and can't imagine it would add the necessary moisture to thin the powdered sugar and butter based frosting. Evaporated milks texture is similar to regular milk, I probably could have diluted it with some water but I just added it straight from the can - I didn't notice any difference in the taste or texture of the frosting.

Brooke had a piece of cake and asked if I made the frosting, I said of course - she said 'I love your frosting, will you teach me how to make it?'. I'm not about to tell her that 'my frosting' is just traditional old buttercream hahaha. It is really good tho, and I'm happy to know I can substitute evaporated milk in the future if necessary. 

Stop back tomorrow to see Kenedy's finished cake, it turned out SO good and everyone loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment