Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Fleece Scarf

I got the idea for this scarf while browsing in a little boutique store (the same store that I saw what I thought was a scarf for a dog, turned out to be for a person - I made it for Sarge last month) - but it was super expensive, I didn't look but it must have been some rare cashmere hand spun from exotic animals or something haha, and I had one of those "aha, I can make that" moments... here is my homemade version.

double loop scarf


I bought 1 yard of anti-pill fleece (the kind you make a tie blanket out of - have you made those? Another simple fun project that makes great gifts) in gray. They have tons of different colors and patterns, the hardest part of this project was deciding what color I wanted!


To make a single loop scarf I cut the material in a 15.5" x 44" rectangle (in this picture I folded the material in half and cut it 22" long so there is a fold in the middle), decided I wanted the fringe to be 7" long so put a piece of blue painters tape 7 inches
up so I'd know where to make my cuts to, then with my rotary cutter and a ruler I made 7" cuts every inch all along the bottom. You can do this with scissors if you don't have a rotary cutter, it just takes a little longer.


To make it a loop scarf I sewed the 2 edges together from the top of the material to where the fringe starts (about an 8" seam). First scarf done. 


I had enough material left over to make a second scarf - I wanted to try one long enough to have a double loop and a little narrower, so it's 10" x 88" with 5" fringe.  I messed up a little trying to make it 88" long by folding it over one too many times and ended up with fringe on both sides of the scarf - not what I wanted so I cut the whole thing in half which gave me 2 pieces of fringed material instead of one piece with a fold in the middle, so I had to seam it together in 2 places to make a big loop. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to say is that this scarf is 88" long before I sewed it into a loop, if you have to piece the material together to get that size more than one seam is fine! I like the scarf with fringe on one side only but you could do both sides if you like that. Also play around with the size of your fringe, I totally made up this pattern - change it however you want! The beauty here is that for very little time and money, and the only sewing is one or two short seams, you can have a handmade custom scarf the size and color you want! Great gift I think - hope no one in my family is reading my blog today since they will all probably get one of these haha!! 


single loop scarf

my model and the single loop scarf




No comments:

Post a Comment