Saturday, August 20, 2016

Chopped Baking Edition - Niece vs Aunt

Brooke and I had our own version of a "chopped" bake-off yesterday - have you ever seen the show where 4 chefs get a "mystery basket" of 4 random ingredients that they have to turn into an amazing dish that they are judged on (and chopped if theirs isn't the best)? For our competition we wrote a bunch of individual ingredients on pieces of folded up paper and put them in a bowl, then we both drew out 3 ingredients that we had to make a dessert with. Some of our potential choices were oreos, strawberries, bananas, caramel, cinnamon - things I already had on hand. She drew rice crispies, m&ms, and strawberries; I got graham crackers, honey,  and chocolate chips. The rule was to come up with the idea of what we wanted to bake, no searching online for ideas, and then we could go online for a basic recipe only after we declared what we were making - no changing your idea once it was stated. The judges were my sister, niece Macey, and Dave.

I made a 9" scone using all of my ingredients and it was nasty...didn't help that I put it in the oven and forgot to set a timer - and it was plenty overdone, ugh. Macey said "Aunt Jill you're a great cook and baker but this is the worst thing you've ever made" HA. Oh well.



Brooke however made mini cheesecakes and a chocolate bark that was actually, surprisingly, good! I have no idea how she pulled that off! The bark was really good, so good that I'm going to share her "recipe" with you - I absolutely won't tell you how I made the disastrous scone though LOL! On a piece of parchment paper she spread melted chocolate chips (microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted), topped with everything under the sun - rice crispies, m&ms, andes mint bits, etc... - then spread more melted chocolate on the top. Put in freezer until firm and then break into pieces. Everyone loved it!


We had a great time playing Chopped, and the kid totally beat me fair and square! Brat ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment