Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Banana Cupcakes with Marshmallow Filling


I don't love bananas so quite often they start to get too ripe before we can eat them - so, like probably most everyone, I cut them in chunks and freeze them for smoothies or baking. Well I organized the freezer the other day and came across more than one bag of chopped up bananas...is there such thing as a 'nana hoarder? If so I might fall under that category. So I googled for things to make with bananas and found this recipe that for some reason sounded good to me - I say for 'some reason' because not only do I not love bananas, I'm also not a fan of marshmallow. So why I decided to make this I'm not exactly sure but I will tell you that they are fantabulous. They taste a lot like banana bread with cream cheese frosting (no, there's no cream cheese in the recipe - but it tastes like that!), the filling and frosting is really sweet but the cupcakes aren't, so it's a nice balance. The only thing I changed from the instructions is that I didn't cut out a circle in the top of each cupcake; I filled a decorating bag and attached a long narrow frosting tip that I jammed into the top of each cupcake and squeezed lightly until I could see the top of the cupcake rise up a little bit - don't keep squeezing or it's like a volcano and the whole top cracks apart (hmmmm, ask me how I know?) and threatens to blow.






  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • FILLING:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups marshmallow creme
  • 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • Additional confectioners' sugar
  • 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. 
  • 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
  • 3. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
  • 4. For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar.



Click here for the original recipe source, I found it at tasteofhome.com

one year ago: spider mum paper flowers
two years ago: Jen's Coco Lopez recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment