Friday, November 23, 2018

Fabric Bread Basket

Made this bread basket to carry the herb bubble bread I took to Al and Cathy's (click here for the bread recipe). They said to bring "nothing" which drives me crazy - I always tell them I'm going to bring something, they might as well tell me what they want LOL. But they wouldn't, so they got bread and this simple bread basket I whipped up at the last minute. Seriously, it's a very quick project if your sewing machine is ready to go and you have some scrap fabric on hand that is - if not, it's still very easy once you have the material!



Cut two pieces of fabric 16" square. Iron on a matching piece of fusible interface to the wrong side of one of the fabric pieces (it'll help give it a little structure, not necessary tho if you want to skip this step - your basket will be a little flimsier but it still works and is fine). Sew the two fabric squares together, right sides facing, leaving a small gap in one side - the turn it right sides out thru the small gap. Insert a skewer or something long and pointy into the hole between the two sides and poke into each corner to get them all as square as possible (sometimes the material gets jammed up in the corners), then sew up the gap with either the sewing machine or by hand. Iron the square to make it nice and smooth.



 Measure 3" in on each corner and sew a straight line creating a point, almost like little wings.



That's it! Once all of the corners are sewn into points the basket takes its shape. The space where the bread goes is about 9" square which perfectly holds the pan of bubble bread I made. If you are using a different size pan you might want to change to a coordinating basket size when you cut the squares of fabric. I did 16" squares of fabric with 1" being the seam allowance (that's how much of the fabric gets used to sew the squares together, think of it as sort of the "hem", you need extra material to sew on) and each side wall is 3" so I ended up with a 9" basket. Measure your pan and add 7 inches to get the right size (1" for seam allowance, 3" for the sides times two). Hope that makes sense!


One year ago:

What's your Black Friday look like? Did you get up at 5am (or worse, sleep outside of the store?) to shop? Spending the day getting Christmas stuff out? I'm planning to have a nice easy day, steering clear of the mall, making stuff, and hopefully avoid getting in the car! I'm not posting anything I made today - unless I made you chuckle with these funnies in which case I did make something LOL!! Have a good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment