Thursday, January 16, 2020

TBT: potted ham


It's the second week for my new "Throw-Back Thursday: recipe" category now that I have this fun new (really old) cookbook that I've decided to experiment with. Today it's Potted Ham. I have no idea what potted ham is, or is supposed to be - remember I said that lots of these recipes don't have amounts or descriptions? Well this is one of them. I have no idea if this is supposed to be like a ham spread? Deviled ham? The recipe says to put into pots and cover with paraffin and paper.  Well I don't have paraffin or paper and didn't want to get paraffin or even know what kind of paper (waxed? freezer? parchment?) I did a little research online and potted meat was a way to preserve meat before refrigeration. Some recipes say to seal the jar with clarified butter, so I assume that's why this recipe says to cover with paraffin. I wanted to eat it right away and not store for who-knows how long so I didn't do the covering with butter or wax - we ate it on crackers and it was really good while fresh. After it sat overnight it got really dried out and crumbly. So much for my not covering it with paraffin hahaha. I think this would taste much better with the addition of mayo to make it creamier - as it is I put enough mustard in it to make it creamy and spreadable, but it was really really mustardy.


I followed the preparation of this potted ham technique of smashing the ham in a mortar because I got a gorgeous one from my mom for Christmas (this is the first thing I used my mortar for - thanks mom!); if I didn't have a mortar, or if I wanted to use modern equipment,  I'd just make this in a food processor. And I'd add mayo. Just sayin'.


The exact recipe reads as follows:
1 cup minced cooked ham
Cayenne
Dash powdered mace
Mustard
Pound ham in mortar, and season with cayenne, mace and mustard. Place in baking dish and bake in moderate oven (350') 1/2 hour. Pack into pots or little stone jars and cover with paraffin and paper. Use for sandwiches. 




Note: instead of buying a jar of Mace that I might not use again, I googled for substitutions - Mace is the membrane that surrounds nutmeg, so using ground nutmeg is a similar flavor.

If you are interested in making Deviled Ham I found a recipe that looks good and easy:
4 cups diced ham
3/4 cup mayo
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/4 t. hot sauce
1 T. Worscestershire
1/2 t. white vinegar

Pulse the ham in a food processor until finely chopped. Stir in remaining ingredients. Chill for at least 2 hours.

See, I was right about the mayo and food processor, and I found this recipe after writing about my potted ham experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment