Thursday, January 30, 2020

TBT: Cardinal Salad

Today's throw back recipe from my new/old cookbook is for 'Cardinal Salad'; I wasn't sure what wax beans are, seems they are yellow string beans and the only way I could find them (at least this time of year) is in a can - I give Sarge canned green beans mixed in with his dog food but I am not a fan, mostly because of the texture. However, staying true to the recipe, I included them in this salad and gotta say that they were good. With everything else going on I didn't even notice the texture. This is really good and I will make it again.


I made this salad using store-bought mayo, before I realized that in order to really be following the cookbook I should have made it myself! Sheryl says she has friends that make their own mayo and swear once you homemake it you'll never want store-bought;  I will make it following this cookbook recipe and share on another 'throw-back Thursday' post.


Here's the salad recipe exactly as printed in the book - it doesn't give instructions for what to do with the vegetables (other than the beets - and I bought precooked beets so didn't boil them as directed) so I blanched the asparagus tips just for a minute to soften them up, used thawed frozen peas, and like I said above, added canned wax beans - if using fresh I'd blanch them like the asparagus tips so they aren't super raw/crunchy. I added some of the beet vinegar to loosen up the mayo and make it pourable.

CARDINAL SALAD

  • 2 large beets
  • 2 T. vinegar (I used apple cider)
  • 1/2 cup wax beans
  • 1/2 cup peas
  • 1/2 cup asparagus tips
  • mayonnaise made with vinegar from beets
  • lettuce
  • radishes for a garnish (I left these off)
Boil beets until tender, slice, cover with vinegar and let stand until the following day. Drain off the vinegar and use it in making the mayonnaise. Arrange beans, peas, asparagus tips and mayonnaise in little rose-like nests of lettuce leaves, and garnish with radishes.

I have no idea how to make 'little rose-like nests of leaves",
so I just spread out a few small romaine leaves and topped
with the mixed together veggies and mayo dressing. 

1.30.19: chocolate mint crackles
1.30.18: baked ham and cheese sliders (and other Super Bowl ideas)
1.30.17: heart cork wreath or trivet
1.30.16: sweet sunrise mocktail

No comments:

Post a Comment