Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Tip-sy Tuesday: Instant Flower Pot Filler

Today's tip came after my neighbor Midge and I were talking about filling our flower pots, I said I didn't really want to spend as much time as I usually do in the nursery designing and picking out the plants to put in my 2 big flower pots ('cuz even tho I know we need to be careful and wear masks in public, the thought of wearing it in a greenhouse when it's 90' out is not appealing!), and she said this year instead of designing her pots she's going to buy a large hanging flower basket that is already full and blooming, take it out of the hanging container and plant directly into her flower pots. Uh, hello - that's a great idea! I wondered if we couldn't just remove the hanging part and plop the container directly into the flower pot but she said taking it out of the original container and planting it into the dirt will keep the plant healthier longer, it'll be able to spread out and grow longer roots.


So that's what I did - for less money and less time waiting for my plants to fill in and grow, I have instant gorgeous flower pots. Sure it's taken away some of the 'creative' part of designing the pots (which I love to do, looking for inspiration photos and then finding plants to create the look I want), but I've decided this year to not try to re-invent the wheel and go with someone else's design that is beautiful.


I bought a very full 12" basket and look how great it's filled up my 18" pot. This is a "Proven Winner" combination of super petunias and million bells (solid and striped). So pretty!

2021 update: these flowers did amazing! They thrived in the pots, stayed full and I didn't have to fill any holes. I did the same thing this year and hoping for equally great results! 


5.26.19: 🔥
5.26.18: tuna orzo salad
5.26.17: travel blog: Edinburgh, Scotland
5.26.16: herb pallet garden (I still use this and it's held up great!)

No comments:

Post a Comment