Saturday, July 25, 2020

Cold Southwestern Corn and Shrimp Soup

LeDonna was down for a few days and I've been waiting for a guinea pig to try this recipe out on (I asked Dave if he wanted to try it and before I even got the sentence out he said no, geesh), it's a super quick and easy recipe and she was game to have it for lunch. I was on the fence initially whether it was a keeper recipe, but she really liked it and as I kept eating it grew on me - I liked it more and more and by the time it was gone I decided I really really like it and will def make it again. This is meant to be cold but I did heat up a little to see how it'd be hot and I liked it that way too,  I can't see any reason it can't be cooked (other than not wanting to heat up your kitchen this time of year!). 




For the record, this is not the prettiest soup to post pictures of - it looks much better in person!

COLD SOUTHWESTERN CORN AND SHRIMP SOUP
  • 40 oz. frozen corn kernels, thawed
  • 1 cup low-fat yogurt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 t. ground coriander
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 pound cooked frozen shrimp, thawed, roughly chopped, reserve 4 whole shrimp
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
1. In a blender, working in two batches, puree corn, yogurt, milk, lime juice, coriander, and cayenne. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Stir in chopped shrimp, and season with salt and pepper.

2. Serve garnished with tomatoes, avocado, and reserved whole shrimp. 

Serves 4

notes:
- I halved the recipe and still ended up with 6 cups of soup.
- Didn't serve with tomatoes and avocado because I didn't think it sounded good. For lunch the next day (it held up really well by the way, I wasn't sure if the shrimp would make it too fishy or something but it was just as good) I tried it with the chopped tomatoes and avocado and it was really good -  I definitely recommend including the tomato and avocado.
- I also added about 1/2 cup thawed frozen corn to the liquid (after straining out the pureed corn solids) and really liked the texture.
- I pureed in my food processor, since I only made 1/2 recipe I didn't have to blend it in batches. 

of course I forgot to take a photo with the tomatoes and avocado - just picture
the above with those things on top and it's exactly what it looked like hahahah!! 
I have no idea where this recipe is from, I ripped it out of a magazine at some point in the past and it's been in my recipes to try folder forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment