Monday, April 5, 2021

MSIH: Ham and Lentil Soup

I'm betting my sister is down right starving it's been so long since I've sent food home for her to review hahahha. I found this one from last year that I never posted - and with the leftover hambone from Easter dinner I'll be making it again. It's so good. Here's her review, recipe below:

Ham and Lentil Soup.  Catchy name.  Perhaps needs some work.  Would have scared the husband off with just the word “lentil” so had to not tell him what it was called.

This soup was amazing.  loved it. 

Almost had the texture of beef stew so if you like soup that’s very “brothy” you may not like this one.  I on the other hand loved it.  The flavor was delicious, loved the lentils, quite filling due to its thickness. Very good. 






Jill here - I read a bunch of recipes and got a good idea of what to do, then I winged it with my own amounts and seasonings. I'll give you approximate amounts of what I used but I didn't measure when I made it - so adjust to your taste and/or what you have on hand, and what looks right. It was brothy the day I made it but after sitting overnight a lot of the liquid was absorbed and made it very thick and more stew-like. If you want it thinner just add water or more chicken stock. 
  • 1 hambone with meat still on it
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup lentils
  • 6 cups chicken stock (low-sodium)
  • 1 1/2 t. Italian herb blend
  • 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 bay leaves
Put all ingredients in a large crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the hambone and pick off any meat that's still attached, chop and add back to the pot. Note, I look thru the soup for any large pieces and break them up, and remove any grizzle/bone/fat/etc. that you don't want to leave in the soup. Remove the bay leaves before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment