Friday, April 23, 2021

Gift Card/Cash Envelope

I caught this project the other day that Ronda Wade made on her youtube channel - she's inspired me to make quite a few different gc holders in the past and here's another one I like and can imagine making often! It's a quick and easy way to make a gift card or cash gift a little more special. I'm never opposed to receiving a monetary gift hahaha, I do not care at all how it gets to me - but I wouldn't want to give a card to someone if they felt like it was a last minute choke gift 'cuz I couldn't think of anything else, so this envelope idea is a nice extra touch. I took lots of pictures, there's probably more pictures than instructions!

You'll need a 12"x 6" rectangle of double sided decorative paper, and a second piece of paper 5"x 8", along with scissors, glue (I used glue stick), and a scorer. Ronda's smaller piece of paper is white, I chose another double sided decorative paper that coordinates with the larger rectangle. 

Score the 12"x 6" paper at 4 inches, and at 8 inches. Then cut 1" off one end and set it aside. Fold along score lines:


Next we make a smaller envelope that will go inside the folded larger rectangle. Score the 5"x 8" paper at 2 1/4 inches, and at 5 1/4 inches. Fold along score lines. Fold the shorter 2 1/4" side up and glue along the side edges to form a pocket. Fold the other side down over the pocket. Glue the 1" strip of paper (from the 12"x 6" paper) on top meeting the edges (that is just a decorative touch tying the two papers together, you can leave it off if you prefer). There will be about an inch overhang, trim that off. See pictures to see what I'm talking about.




Add a decorative thing to the top of the 5" x 3" envelope you just made. Ronda made a 2 layer stamped message, I did a double layer paper flower with a gem in the middle. Attach whatever you decide to make with a foam dimensional so it sticks up off the envelope a bit, or stick it down with glue stick. 


Next glue the small envelope you just made to the center of the 12"x 6" (technically it's now 11"x 6") rectangle. Glue it so the shorter 3" end is at the top. Fold the bottom flap up, and the top flap over it. Tie closed with a piece of ribbon - Ronda tied hers around the corners like you might do for a gift box, I just tied mine around the middle. Whatever you want - a 'bellyband' would work too.




Lastly, Ronda personalized hers further with a hanging tag and the gift recipients initial - I'm going to leave mine like this because I'm mailing it to someone so they'll already know it's for them hahah. If I was giving as is without putting it into an envelope, for example handing it to a graduate or for a birthday gift, then I'd definitely add a name or initial to the front. 



It's cute with the ribbon flower I made the other day and is still laying on my desk! 

4.23.20: beer bread

No comments:

Post a Comment