Monday, August 20, 2018

Marcia's Green Chile Fritatta

Here's the recipe for the green chile frittata that I made last week as a tester for my sister's work thing that changed into her needing sloppy joes instead (click here for that post and to get a great sloppy recipe). My friend Marcia gave me this recipe years ago and it's a favorite - perfect for a dish to pass, or for a buffet because it tastes good hot, cold, or at room temp. Also great for a vegetarian dish (it does have eggs tho), you could always add shredded chicken or chopped ham if you want.


A frittata is sort of like a crustless quiche, it has a firm consistency so it'll hold its shape if you cut it into squares and arrange on a plate. This recipe makes a 13x9 cake-size casserole, if you want to make a smaller one I don't see why you couldn't cut these ingredients in half and bake in a smaller square 8" or 9" baking dish. One more thing - my recipe says 3 lbs of cheese but I really question that amount (3 pounds?!), so experimented with using half that and it's delicious and cheesy, not dry. So I wrote the recipe using 1.5 lbs instead - if you want to see if 3 pounds is even better go right on ahead :)

Preheat oven to 350'

Ingredients:
  • 10 eggs
  • 3 cans chopped green chiles
  • 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/2 cup flour mixed with 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1.5 lbs (24 ounces) grated jack cheese (or colby/jack, or mexican blend, etc)
  • 16 oz. container low-fat cottage cheese
Mix all together and pour into a buttered (or spray with non-stick cooking spray) 13x9 baking dish. 
Bake 45 minutes at 350'. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. 
Can be served hot, cold, or room temperature. 

I lined the baking dish with parchment so I could
 easily lift the entire thing out of the dish



No comments:

Post a Comment