Monday, August 27, 2018

Newspaper Purse Update

This purse made out of lightly laminated newspaper - which is very cool by the way, soft and bendable, made very well with grommet corners and sewn edges - has been in my stash for years, but I haven't used it much because of the ugly black pleather leather-wanna-be handles. Rather than letting it linger longer in my closet or finally getting rid of it, I thought I'd change out the handles and give it another try. I've had some old bamboo handles in my craft closet for a really long time too...so let's put the old bamboo handles on the old newspaper purse and see what happens. (If it's not "voila, a brand new purse that I'm now loving" then it needs to go away.) 


As I may have mentioned before, I'm my Grandmother's granddaughter and take after her crafting approach of "just use whatever is in the craft room instead of going to the store for what you would really like or what would really match..." and found some rope stuff that I think is meant to be a curtain tie-back. Whatever, it's now cord that I wrapped around the bamboo handles to hold it onto the newspaper purse. The ends kept fraying so I struggled to get it thru the handle holes, I found that by wrapping some tape (once again, what was closest to me was some black electrical tape - masking tape or scotch tape would totally work) tightly around the ends let me be able to feed the cord thru the hole. Then I just wrapped it around the bamboo. So far this is so much better than the fake ugly original handles.

Let this be an example and inspiration to change what you don't like to get something better - and hopefully you'll use the item instead of hoarding it away like I do, or giving it away. This took me maybe 10 minutes and it looks way better now!

Next up is figuring out how to make a newspaper tote - you'll hear about it when I do :)








No comments:

Post a Comment