Friday, August 10, 2018

Square Knots for Macrame

Yesterday I showed you the dog collar I made for Sarge using hemp, beads and a charm - I forgot to share this tip when making the square knots. I figured this out after a few years of making these macrame bracelets, keychains, and collars - can't tell you how many times I forgot and then had to undo a bunch of knots! I've never seen this helpful tip so wanted to share...when you are making square knots you alternate starting from the left- and right-side long lengths and if you forget which side you did last and repeat the same side, the collar will start to twist - if you want a spiral design that's how you get it, by not alternating and just starting with the same side every time. To figure out which side you need to do next, look at the previous knot; whichever side of the knot has a line of hemp is the side you start with for the next knot. In this picture my index finger is pointing at the 'line' I'm talking about, it's on the left so I know to make the next knot starting with the left side. I'm not sure I'm explaining this well, the picture should help tho!



one year ago: breakfast salad

No comments:

Post a Comment