Saturday, February 19, 2022

Shrimp Étouffée

I made this recipe for Paula Dean's shrimp étouffée 2 years ago for Fat Tuesday. At the time I started to blog it I couldn't find the photos so figured I'd just hold onto it until I could make it again and remember to take pictures. Guess what I just found when going thru photos on my computer? The photos! Sweet. Love when that happens. 

Fat Tuesday is 3/1/22 this year if you want to make the fantastic dish for Mardi Gras - yes it's been 2 years since I made it but I still remember how much we loved this!
 

  • 1/2 stick butter 
  • 2 lbs small or medium peeled and deveined (recommended: (31/35 size count) shrimp 
  • salt to taste
  • 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes 
  • 1 (8-oz) can clam juice 
  • 2 to 3 dashes Paula Deen Hot Sauce 
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley 
  • 1/2 cup minced, plus extra for garnish, green onions 
  • 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning 
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper 
  • 1/2 teaspoon more if desired cayenne pepper 
  • 3 cloves finely minced garlic 
  • 1 cup chopped celery 
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper 
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion 
  • 1/2 cup plus extra flour, optional all purpose flour 
  • 1/2 cup oil 
  • optional rice 

Make the roux: melt the butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk flour into the butter to form a paste. Continue cooking over low heat and whisk continuously, until the mixture turns a caramel color and gives off a nutty aroma, about 15 to 20 minutes. To the roux, add the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic and cook over low heat about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are limp. Add the black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, green onions, parsley, and hot sauce to taste. Add 1 can clam juice and the tomatoes with their juice, stir to blend. Add the salt, starting with 1 teaspoon then add more if needed. 

Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add shrimp and stir. It will take about 3 minutes for shrimp to cook, don’t overcook. Remove from heat. Add the butter and stir; the heat from the dish will melt the butter. Transfer the etouffee to a tureen, serving bowl, or if you prefer, over rice. Garnish with the green onions. 




making the roux (flour and butter)

my helper

my other helper and some of the ingredients 


my notes: I added chopped andouille sausage; used a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, and bought a container of pre-cut mixed bell peppers. I originally found this recipe on the Food Network but it's no longer there,  it's on her website and now it says to make the roux with oil instead of butter but the butter turned out great, just make sure to watch that it doesn't burn. I don't cook it for 15 minutes, maybe that's the directions for if you use oil instead. I just cook the flour and butter for a couple minutes to cook off some of the flour flavor. Also, I cut back on the spicy spices figuring everyone could add hot sauce if they wanted more heat; and I skipped the green onion garnish. 


2.19.19: tt: deviled egg cover 
2.19.18: macrame wall hanging (and Sarge "helping me")
2.19.16: kid craft - decorate notebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment