Monday, February 19, 2018

Macrame Wall Hanging

I wanted to make myself a macrame hanging planter (if my sissy is reading this, I know she has just asked "why?" and rolled her eyes at me ) and spent all-kinds-of-way-too-much time hunting for patterns and figuring what I was going to do - right down to putting a big thing of twisted cotton rope in my Amazon shopping cart...then I realized I didn't want a hanging planter but how 'bout a wall hanging (since I'd now invested-slash-wasted so much time thinking about this!). I couldn't find a pattern that I wanted to make, and by now I was too impatient to order rope or drive to the craft store for supplies - so like impatient thrifty hoarders everywhere I toggled this together using things I had on hand.


Because I have a thing for sticks (!) this pretty branch has been in our garage for a couple years now waiting for me to turn it into a walking stick. (Why did I think this crooked stick was going to work as a walking stick?) I had leftover twine from covering the legs of that table last week (click here for that project), and I found this heavy soft yarn in my stash. Add a couple beads in with my variety of basic macrame knots and this is what I came up with. And I think it's super pretty :)

This only took me a couple hours to make...and I can add or subtract knots if I look at it long enough and want to change it!

Cut 36 pieces of twine or yarn (each 7' long). Fold in half and tie onto the branch using a lark's head knot

because the branch is crooked I set a ruler across the back to try to get the first row of square knots at the same place all the way across, so it would look level (see how some are right up against the branch but others are down a little bit?)

I've never made anything bigger than a dog collar or camera strap using macrame knots, and my repertoire is limited. This sort of became a sampler of different things using square knots and spiral knots (which are just a bunch of half square knots in a row). There's a couple braids in there as well...

                                               

my "helper" after he got the zoomies and ran thru my project ...


No comments:

Post a Comment